Friday, April 17, 2009

Time to plant Oodles of Blueberries, plus some great kids books with blueberry themes

Kids book: Blueberry Shoe by Ann Dixon

I caught it. Yep, just this week. It's a bit late for me, but it happened all the same. I am talking about the gardening bug! There is this natural instinct within me that propels me into the dirt each spring with my ratty, holey jeans and last years gardening gloves: shovel in hand, seeds in pockets, with a determined and crazed (yet focused) look in my eyes. I usually expect this gardening zeal to hit in February or March, but perhaps it was the snow or the kiddy birthday parties, or my half marathon training schedule.

I know the gardening bug has hit when I am out in the dirt with rain pounding down, pulling just one more weed, planting just one more raspberry cane, clipping, pruning, and most of all when against all reason and sensibility I decide to make a blueberry patch with 12 new blueberry plants. Yep, that's my newest garden project. Well, that and getting the chickens moved to a plot of land in the garden. That's a huge project all on its own, but don't let me stray too far from the blueberry patch story.

Before my daughter Marina was born, about 6 years ago, I planted 4 rows (30 feet each+/-) of raspberries. I didn't do it all in one year, but over the course of 3 years I had that many rows. I knew that one day (ha, today!) I would plant a large blueberry patch. Where does this motivation come from? Like I really need any more projects. Yet . . . somewhere within me is a desire to be at least somewhat self-sufficient. Plus, the girls love, love, love blueberries. And I want to have enough to freeze oodles and oodles and more oodles of blueberries for the fall, winter and spring. Anyone want a blueberry pie for Thanksgiving? Yum!

I am learning all about soil pH on my new quest to grow oodles of blueberries. You see, I have 2 blueberry plants that look quite miserably small and pathetic considering how long I have owned them. So I transplanted them to their new "blueberry only" patch (I'm sure they will feel extra special not being forced between two raspberries). My research told me that blueberries like acidic soil, so for about $5 I purchased a soil pH test kit (at Bayview Farm and Garden) and discovered that my soil is 6.5 pH, which is not acidic enough for the b-berries. To remedy this I added peat moss (there are other alternatives like sulfur) and purchased a special fertilizer to help acidify the soil. The website http://www.geocities.com/green_cache/blueberries.html states that blueberries like 5- 5.8 pH. Aha! The berries look quite happy in their new location with their new soil amendments.

For more pH information checkout: http://www.geocities.com/green_cache/ph.html

Speaking of Blueberries, checkout these great kid's books about berries:
Blueberries for Sal
Berries, Nuts, and Seeds: a take along guide
Jamberry
Peter in Blueberry Land
Blueberry Shoe

No comments: