Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Best Beach on the Island is . . .






. . . Double Bluff! How can you beat this? Soft & abundant sandy beach, great hiking, off leash dog park, shallow water, tide pools, climbing bluff. Alright so maybe you have a better beach, if so, let me know. But this is my all-time favorite beach on Whidbey Island. For several reasons it is my favorite: close proximity to where I live, sugary-soft sand, lots of interesting dried out logs, and when the tide is out, long long expanses of sandy beach for exploring.

For parents and small kids the beach is great because the water doesn't get very deep, it just stays about the same depth for who-knows-how-far. I have tried walking for quite a long while though the water and still not gotten above my head, just tummy or chest level. Plus, the sand makes great sand castles and is easy to dig into. Older kids and adults will appreciate skim boarding, Frisbee, or hiking.

For people who love a good walk: try following the beach until you reach "the second point" where the land levels out with the beach. It is about a 45 minute walk from the double bluff parking area. As you walk you will turn the corner around the first point, where the bluff is quite high. You can see this first point from the parking area. To get to where I am talking about you have to keep walking past this point to the next one you can see, the second point. It is beautiful and well worth the walk

Have dogs? The beach is also an off leash park for dogs, provided you clean up after you dog and wait until you reach the flag (about 700 feet from the parking lot) to let them off leash. My kids and I love "dog watching."

No comments: