Saturday, February 7, 2009

Fresh Farm Egg Omelet with feta, spinach, and red peppers

This time of the year chickens begin to naturally lay more eggs than they do during the shorter winter days. They have their peak egg production right around the longest day of the year, in June. So now is a good time to start thinking about making omelets, quiches, and more! Below I posted some pictures of a spinach, feta, red pepper omelet I made. Omelets make great post-workout meal too. And with my running distances increasing, I can appreciate a meal like this. The girls also love omelets. Marina, almost 4 years old, will eat nearly an entire (small) omelet. Stella loves the buttery fluffy eggs.
Here I stir fry in olive oil 1/2 of a red pepper. After it is cooked to my liking I set it aside and place it on the scrambled eggs to sandwich with spinach in the omelet.
Scrambled eggs added to a hot cast iron pan (with olive oil). I add spinach to one side of the eggs, turn down the heat to somewhere between low and medium and cover with a lid. If you start out with a hot pan and then reduce temp like this you won't burn the egg.

No comments: