Sunday, January 25, 2009

Poet Robert Burns' 250th birthday Celebration right here on little 'ol Whidbey Island . . .


Robert Burns, poet, born 25 January, 1759

Another idea for celebration, thanks to my friends Nikki and Luke: have a birthday party for a dead Scottish poet complete with Scotch eggs, potato leek soup, salad, and Scottish whiskey. And of course, a Youtube reading of the poet's work:

How to have a Burns Night Supper Youtube video and recitation of poetry

Now, I had never heard of Robert Burns, although upon reflection I probably had heard of him, I just didn't know to take note. Being that his birthday is still being celebrated 250 years after he was born, he left a legacy of sorts behind. Here's what I know, and it's not much: he's Scottish and known widely to be the national poet of Scotland, writing in the Scot language (did you know, they have their own language, and I can't decifer most of it, I tried!). Here is a wikipedia link to more information about Robert Burns: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Burns
I am a large percentage Scottish (and several other backgrounds as well) so I was interested to learn more about Scotland and its people.

Official Robert Burns website: http://www.robertburns.org/

A well-know Robert Burns poem on Youtube: "Happy New Year/ Auld Lang Syne"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvJRmdN9iyU

A table setting with a picture of Robert Burns and whiskey

"Scottish eggs": hard boiled eggs wrapped in ground sausage (see below) and then deep fried in vegetable oil.

Luke wraps the eggs in sausage

Potato leek soup
Bacon pan fried then chopped and used as topping on the potato leek soup

A yummy green salad

No comments: