Friday, May 16, 2008

Dreams as a Valid Reality: What would it be like to dream of the day you just had?

Have you ever thought about what it would be like to dream the day you just had?
Your day is this:
You take your daughter swimming at the pool; you visit her great grandpa at the beach and discuss his roof and watch the birds on the beach; you get lunch at a coffee shop and the soup is too spicy for your daughter; you visit a store and your daughter picks out some toys and tells a woman "NO!" and hides (when the woman tells her how cute she is); you visit you land then go home; at home you mow the lawn; your daughter throws a tantrum about a birthday gift for a friend; you work in the garden; friends come over and discuss taking some of your kittens, and you keep thinking how you need to make dinner and you are hungry.

You did all these different things during the day and each event was marked by different emotional reactions, some weak, some strong. Now imagine that this was a dream and you do not remember it all fitting together in an "order", perhaps you do not even remember all of the dream and segments are left out.

Here's your dream: I dreamed that I brought Marina swimming and she was so good and she dived in the pool just like she normally does. And then I was in a coffee shop in Freeland, and I don't remember what I ate but it was really good and I remember that Marina wouldn't eat any of it, I'm not sure why though? I remember seeing Marina's great grandpa and there were birds flying around. I think I was even at the land at some point, and it was sunny and I remember being on the lawnmower. Then I had another dream where a woman told Marina she was cute and Marina got really upset. At some point my friend came over, and I think her husband was there, but I'm not sure, and she held the kittens and talked about taking some home. All I remember is that I was so hungry and I had to make food.

Imagine that you did not remember what had happened the day before you had this "dream". Or the day before that . . . How strange and segmented it would all seem if it was out of the usual context of daily life.
We can remember our dreams on a regular basis and receive great insight and wisdom from them.
By intending to remember and write down our dreams every day we will start to notice little and sometimes big correlations between our dreams and our waking state. This increased clarity can blend our conscious waking mind with our greater unconscious sleeping self. A "wide awake", or conscious, dreamer can manifest goals by working through symbolic or very real problems during their dreaming state. We can meet people that help us discover things about our self or others. We can help other people as well. The dreaming state is much more relaxed about our so-called laws of nature.
Our dreaming state is another reality where we can become fully conscious creators and affect our waking life. During our dreaming state we are able to do unusual things: regular "laws" of nature do not apply and we can often travel back in time or forward. We can die, meet new or old aquaintences, see dead relatives, be different people, or even be "outside" observers of our self. What freedom!
Interestingly, our dreaming self seems to remember little of what we do during the day. Perhaps the dreaming self believes that the waking self is a dream . . .

No comments: