Friday, July 2, 2010

Steamed Cauliflower topped with Fried Chicken and Fennel

Can you tell that I like fresh fennel?  Rather obvious, I know.  This is the first year I have had fennel in my garedn and because it is right outside my door my lazy self likes to use it often!  I also love using sage, thyme, rosemary, and mint, but that's another story...

Steamed Cauliflower topped with Fried Chicken and Fennel
serves 2-3

2/3 head of cauliflower chopped lengthwise
4 small chicken breasts, or cut larger ones into smaller size
large handful of young fennel (otherwise it's too chewy, but still good)
lemon pepper
soy sauce

Steam the cauliflower in a little water until it is soft, but firm enough to pick up without breaking.  Preheat a cast iron pan, add 1-2 TBS butter and a large handful of chopped fennel, chopped into about 2-3 inch pieces. Place the chicken thighs on top of the fennel, cover and cook at medium heat for 10 minutes.  Pepper the chicken at this point then flip it so the fennel side is up.  Cook until it is done, another 5-10 minutes.  If the chicekn breasts are really big or thick, cut them into slightly smaller pieces. 

Serve the chicken and fennel on top of the stteamed cauliflower drizzled with soy sauce. 

~~~Bon Appetite!~~~

1 comment:

Whidbey Woman said...

Popping in to wish you and your family a Happy 4th of July!
I'll be watching your blog for some vegetarian recipes. I'm gradually becoming one. I have never cooked with fennel before so these recipes are intersting. :)