Saturday, March 21, 2009

If you are going to honk . . .


(click on picture on the right to get the full size and print for a coloring page for the kids)

do it after you have passed me! I had 2 startles from honkers on my run this morning. C'mon people, haven't you heard of slowing down and waving? Fine, I get it, you like to see me jump from the road like a wild deer. Or maybe you like the shock on my face at being bombarded at 50 mph with a loud honk as I am daydreaming about lunch.

OK, so if it was one of my friends, take the slow down and wave advice next time. Or honk and watch me break my stride and dive into the ditch. The latter might be more fun anyway, and that way I will be doing some cross training. Who knows what I might find in that dark, wet ditch? Something to bring home to the kids (after I wash it off, anyway). Well, perhaps my 9-mile run has taken the nutrients for my brain and deposited it in my burning calves and I cannot quite think-write straight.

Due to my time spent on the road lately I have come up with some "Rules of the Road" for you drivers, bicyclists, and other runners:

1. Bicyclists and Runners: it is nice to say hi to other runners or give a nod, especially if done to you. Drivers: this does not apply to you, just pass on your merry way please, unless I know you.

2. Yes, you can ask me for directions and I'll likely give you good advice as I know South Whidbey like the, oh, forget the cliche. I seem to be an "I'm lost and need directions" magnet.

3. Drivers: slow down (at least a little) and move over (at least a little) for runners, walkers, and bicyclists.

4. Passing a runner full-speed-ahead in a car is not cool. It is not impressive either if that is what you were aiming for. It is impressively scary though and may illicit a jump in the ditch by me!

5. Drivers: if you, a runner or bicyclist, and another car all happen to be converging upon each other at the same time you really outta slow down and pass slowly, as chances are you will not be giving the runner/bicyclist any extra room on the road.

6. Runners and bicyclists: you do not own the road, if someone is driving do your best to give them some space too, especially if it's a busy road.

Any other rules you want to add? I'd love to hear from you!

No comments: