Sunday, March 15, 2009

Back to the Beach at South Whidbey State Park: stairs are repaired and the park is beautiful as ever! Kids will love the magical walk to the water


As if we needed another lovely beach here on Whidbey! Wait, what am I saying? This beach is special for several reasons. Among them, when I was just a kid my older sister and my younger brother, some friends, and I camped at the park for 5 days by ourselves (what were my parents thinking?!? By the way, thanks mom & dad, it was great!) We had so much fun at the beach playing on the trees that hung from the bluff on to the beach and making campfires at night. Ahhhh. . . . So after 2 years without stairs down to the beach due to a big winter storm, the parks department people finally finished them! You can now enjoy another lovely beach on Whidbey.

The walk to the beach is complete with ancient towering evergreens some blackened by the fire that ripped through the woods many years ago, moss and fern covered trees hanging over the hillside, an abundance of fairy homes (just look at the many holes in the old trees and your child will likely agree), and peek-a-boo views of the ocean. Once you get to the beach you will find smooth rounded stones and plenty of sand. There is a child-size river flowing through the sand from a mini waterfall on the bluff (short walk to the right). This time of the year a roaring ocean might greet you with waves crashing on shore. Pretty exciting. And the parking is by donation, meaning no tickets and no worries if you left your wallet at home. Kids will love the magical walk to the beach: my almost 4-year-old walked the entire way down and back up. ~~~~~~Enjoy~~~~~~~










































2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! Now I want to go visit. I haven't been there in so long.

Jenny said...

looks like you are having a fun time. I miss the beach. Seattle is fun, but the beaches are more crowded by houses, and people. I miss the quiet of the island.