Friday, May 21, 2010

One for adults, one for kids

Above, one of my favorite "easy" lunch or dinner ideas: BBQ chicken, chopped almonds, tomato, and avocado on Romaine tossed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.  I always make my own fresh salad dressing.  It is so much better that way.

Balsamic Olive Oil Dressing
Mix equal parts balsamic vinegar and olive oil (don't skimp on purchasing a good quality olive oil)
salt and pepper to taste
Combine ingredients thoroughly!
You can change out the balsamic vinegar in this recipe for seasoned rice vinegar.  Both are great and add a unique flavor to your salad.

A meal for the kiddos (above): On occasion I have a late lunch and then I am not hungry for dinner.  On one of these occasions, I made a specifically "kid" meal.  I have a feeling that my idea of a kid's meal may differ from most people's.  For Marina, 5, and Stella, 2 1/2, I baked small corn burritos with refried beans and topped them with fresh tomatoes.  A small side salad of romaine lettuce tossed with olive oil and rice vinegar.  And lastly, I boiled some polenta grits, served them on the side with salt, drizzled with olive oil.  Believe it or not, the girls ate the whole plate of food....maybe it was the vibrant colors......or?

2 comments:

Marnie Jackson said...

Magical. I made spinach pesto pasta for my kiddos, and they finished every bite! Fantastic when they eat what we're serving, isn't it?

Candice said...

It is! Spinach pesto? Sounds delish.