Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Barefoot at the Rhody Run 2010

Alright I admit it.  I raced a day after a nasty hangover and a night out.  Granted I had all of Saturday and Saturday night to recover.  It is like doing a race on Saturday then a race on Sunday.  Nonetheless, I am very happy I ran in the Rhody run.  It is really a fun race!  At 12K, or 7.5 miles, it is relatively short.  I figured that despite my late night fun in Seattle, it is surely short enough not to matter.  I was right.  

The course is on paved residential streets in Port Townsend.  Many families line the streets offering water, champagne, sprinklers, and other things.  Water sprinklers.  I had to dodge a few as it was a nice cool morning and I was wearing my barefooting shoes.  I don't like to get my barefooting shoes wet.  Although they dry fast, I can feel the moisture between my toes, yuck! 

My Vibam fivefinger shoes were a big hit on the run.  People just couldn't help but ask:

if I like them,
tell me that they like them,
that they are cool,
how often I have run in them?
how they feel?

At one point near the end of the race, I thought, AHHH, stop, I am trying to breathe, I can't answer your questions. 

Despite my breathing difficulty, I enjoyed telling people about the shoes.

Yes, I like them, in fact I love them.
Thanks.
Yes, they are cool, thanks.
I have run in them for about 2.5 months, from 1 hour runs to 3 hour runs.
They feel like you are a kid again.  They feel great!

The Rhody run course is fast despite several uphill sections.  The Rhody run hills really don't compare to trail running hills, so I refuse to complain.  The race starts and ends at Fort Worden State Park.  The scenery is lovely and the people are friendly.  Port Townsend brewery gave every willing runner a free beer post race.  How's that for recovery?
I found another runner with Vibram Fivefinger shoes. 

Above and below: the super fast winner of the Rhody run.  This man has an amazing stride.  Check it out!



My fast bro-in-law Ryan.  3rd place in his age division!

Passing some people at the finish

pictures courtesy Luc d'Aignault on his iphone.  (forgot my digital slr)

No comments: