Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Trail Running on Whidbey Island

 I'm not afraid of a lot of mud, hail, or ants.  On my trail run last night I encountered them all, while briefly quick-footing right through the center of an ant hill.  In my barefooting shoes.  All I could think of after I had shaken my foot off in a patch of Salal was that I felt sorry I had wrecked the ant's home.
South Whidbey State Park Trails, November
Trail running on South Whidbey Island is full of incredible sights, sounds, and smells.  Especially this time of the year-Spring!- when the plants and animals are coming alive to the warming temperatures and the call of nature.  We humans certainly hear the call as well.  This is one of the finest times of the year to run in the trails.  All your senses are heightened and there is a feeling of emerging into a brighter more active world.

It is during these emerging moments, that the animals appear.  In the moments of silence.  Running up Brainers Road I stopped to have an energy gel.  Right next to me on the telephone wire was a large owl.  It must have been about 8 or 9 in the morning and there it was, sitting rather conspicuously and  looking ridiculously over-sized on that little wire.

Another time I was waiting to meet friends for a swim at Goss Lake.  I had just run to the lake from my house and the Putney Woods trails.  During my quiet moment of introspection I sensed movement in a small tree to my left.  As I peered closer I saw a young eagle sitting low in the branches of a Douglas Fir.  The eagle didn't mind that I was there or that I walked closer.  It seemed to tell me, we are always here, you just have to slow down and quiet your mind to see us.


Here are some of my favorite trails on the Island.  I do not include any North Whidbey Trails, although if you live up North or are willing to make the trek, there are some AMAZING trails there as well, I am not as familiar with them.   

 Do you have any favorite trails?  Let me know!

Here is a great list of trails from the Public Works Dept.  It lists all of Whidbey trails, and is much more comprehensive than my list below.

Island County Trails, including Camano Island: 

http://www.islandcounty.net/publicworks/trailsmain.htm 

My Favorites:
Saratoga Woods, DNR, Metcalf Trail System (also Putney Woods)
Located off of Saratoga Road, Lone Lake Road, Keller Road, and Goldsmith Road.  This is a large interconnected system of trails that is mostly single-track.  They are well-treed, often with muddy sections and large puddles (for leaping over of course).  You can ride horses in these trails. 

South Whidbey Community Park 
Located next to the High School, these trails are well groomed, tend to be wider and drier than the DNR/Saratoga/Putney Trails.  Also the location of the Chum Run 5K.

South Whidbey Intermediate School Trail System 
Very close in location to the South Whidbey Community Park.  When I run I like to go between these two trail systems.  You can connect through from the Intermediate School trails to Coles Road.  You might have to trespass to do so.  Some of my favorite runs included a minor trespass or two.

Kettle Trails 
Trails are up in Coupeville at Fort Ebey State Park.  I discovered the trails by following the nice paved bike path that starts in Coupeville and follows HWY 525 up the the state park.  Excellent for running, mountain biking, walking. 

South Whidbey State Park
A must see for the ancient forest, with a great trail to the beach.  Warning, it's steep at times on the way down to the beach!  Excellent for hobbit and fairy viewing.

Greenbank Farm Trails
Trails through open grassy fields, with some trees.  Beautiful views of the Saratoga Passage and Greenbank Farm.  Walk down toward the farm and say hi to the alpacas.

No comments: