Friday, March 12, 2010

Velvet Scrambled Eggs with Sheep Feta on Sprouted Bread

OK, so I eat way too many eggs.  We have 20+ hens and a lot of eggs.  We sell some eggs, feed our dogs some, give some away, sell some, and eat lots.  Some of my favorite things to do with our fresh eggs are: soft boiled, scrambled, and in quiche.  What I want to share with you today is my *favorite* scramble recipe.  It is easy to do,  but it requires that you stir the eggs constantly for about 5 minutes.  You have most likely never had eggs this delicious.  I grew up eating dry tasting scrambled eggs and hard fried eggs.  I can't stand over cooked eggs now.  Yuck!  So here is a recipe for moist scrambled eggs.  Yum!

Velvet Scrambled Eggs with Sheep Feta Served on Sprouted Bread
 serves 2 adults and two kids

6 eggs, mix thoroughly
feta to taste
olive oil
cast iron pan, preferably (heats more uniformly and retains heat well)

Preheat a cast iron pan to (on my oven it's between medium and medium-low) just below medium.  Pour 1-2 TBS of olive oil in pan, enough to cover the surface.  Once you have thoroughly scrambled the eggs in a dish add them to the preheated pan.  Make sure to have your wooden spoon in hand to stir the eggs.  Once you have added the mixed eggs to pan, stir them constantly, making sure to get to every part of the pan.  When I make these scrambled eggs I stir without stopping until they are done, that way no part of the scrambled eggs gets overcooked.

The idea is to cook the eggs slowly but consistently so that they do not harden into larger size balls.   If you do it right you will have no egg "balls" just a soft, but thoroughly cooked mush.   Remember to stir until the eggs have lost all their water or moisture.  They will still be soft and mushy, just not "watery".  In other words they will taste cooked, but not rubbery or hard in any way.

Add crumbled feta to cooked eggs, as much or as little as you desire.  The eggs will be good served on top of bread (we love using sprouted Sesame "Ezekiel" bread, but you can use any bread.  Here is another picture so you can see the consistency of the eggs.  It may take a few tries to get them just right.
Soft Eggs, pictured with sheep feta on buttered Ezekiel Sesame bread. 

1 comment:

Whidbey Woman said...

So ironic that I read this post when I did. I just finished making 4 dozen deviled eggs! I am taking them to a memorial potluck tomorrow. Of course, they were store bought eggs. What a treat for you to have farm fresh!