Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Raw Recipes: Banana-Blackberry Cream Pie with a Nut-date crust

I promised pictures: Raw Banana-Blackberry Cream Pie adapted from http://www.veganchef.com/rawstraw.htm
I changed the recipe that I found at the above site a bit. Here are my changes highlighted in red:

Crust:3/4 cup raw almonds
3/4 cup raw walnuts
3/4 cup dates, pitted
1/2 t. cinnamon
Filling:
3 T. gelatin, I couldn't get a hold of agar agar and my research said that the conversion was equal parts, but I would not use as much next time-- I would only use 1 TBS
1/3 cup apple juice
6 bananas, rather than the 5 it called for, peeled, and cut in half lengthwise
1/3 cup dates, pitted, and I think I would soak the dates for a few hours so that they would mix in better
1/2 t. lemon juice
1 cup blackberries, rather than strawberries.


In a food processor, place all of the crust ingredients, and grind for a few minutes until mixture is finely ground and holds together when you pinch it with your fingers. Press the crust mixture into a 9-inch pie pan or cake pan, evenly covering the whole pan. Set aside and make the filling. the crust can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated.

In a small bowl, place the agar-agar flakes or gelatin, pour the apple juice over the flakes, and set the mixture aside for 10 minutes to allow the flakes to soften. Add the bananas to the food processor and process for 2 minutes or until very smooth and creamy. Add the agar-agar or gelatin mixture, dates, and lemon juice, and process an additional 1 minute. Add 1 cup of blackberries to banana mixture and mix with a spoon. Then pour the filling over the prepared crust. Cover the top of the filling with a piece of parchment paper, place the pie in the refrigerator, and allow it to chill for 2 or more hours. Just before serving, decorate the top of the pie with blackberries
Yield: One 9-inch pie.

No comments: