Monday, August 24, 2009

My favorite Baby Carrier: the Ergo


Above Left: babies on the front and back Above Right: hood for sleeping baby
pictures courtesy: http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/gallery/


Left: Heart to Heart Right: Infant Insert for the Ergo carrier
pictures courtesy: http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/gallery/

The Ergo baby carrier has been a staple of babydom in my house since my first child was almost six months old. At this point I was overjoyed to be able to put her on my back and give my shoulders and arms a rest. The Ergo holds baby right against your body and can be used as a front pack or a backpack. It is padded in just the right spots: shoulder straps and hips. One of my favorite features is the hood that you can pull up over sleeping baby's head and fasten to the shoulder straps to prevent baby's head and neck from flopping. When baby is on your front side, the hood can give you privacy while you nurse your baby (yes, I did this a lot as I had a baby that needed to move while she was nursing, and I was happy to get the exercise!!).

The Ergo also has several advantages over the frame baby backpack. The frame pack holds the baby up high and feels a bit unsteady when compared to the Ergo. The frame pack is also a lot heavier and bulkier. I often wear the Ergo backpack, while my kid runs around and I barely notice it is there. And I just found out while perusing Ergo's website, that they have an ATTACHABLE BACKPACK that converts the carrier into a day pack. I am very excited about this as you may have noticed that I had a bit of a backpack dilemma before my hiking trip at Mt. Baker.

But, perhaps most importantly, the Ergo baby carrier:

supports a natural sitting position for babies, eliminating compression of the spine and hips that can be caused by unsupported suspension. The baby carrier also balances the baby's weight to parents' hips and shoulders, and alleviates physical stress for the parent.
---- http://www.ergobabycarriers.com/babycarriers/category/carrier/

Visit Ergo's website: http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/

1 comment:

Stella said...

The Ergo is my favorite for using with my daughter while hiking. She is 2, so once her little legs are too tired to hike, I pop her in the Ergo Baby Carrier. It is still quite comfortable.