Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Dear Whidbey Island

Hi Whidbey,

I am back from my not-quite-long-enough-sojourn. Whidbey, you would be jealous of the big mountains, wild rivers, and old growth trees at Mt. Baker. You don't have any wild rivers, and they are one of the parts I miss the most of my little vacation. Maybe it is because the weather is so hot right now, 94 degrees at dinnertime, that I want to be back at the cool river. The mountain rivers are clear and clean. Yes, you would like the clean water. And the alpine meadows with their fragrant wildflowers are incredible. They are almost worth the horrendous clouds of biting flies that you must endure to get to them. Almost.

Whidbey, this time of the year I really appreciate that you only have a few mosquitoes. The mountains are just full of all sorts of big and small biting insects. I tried to go on a run and was chased the whole way by large, bee-looking flies. They may have been horseflies. The locals call them spinners because when they die, they spin upside down and buzz. They fly at your head and body like angry bees. That was the most excruciating and crazy run ever. Me: running wilding pawing at the air. Dashing into outhouse panting and grateful for the safe haven, even if a smelly one.

All in all, I am glad to be here with you Whidbey. You make a great home. And I am working diligently to remember that I must appreciate this record-breaking heat wave while it lasts. After all, it is not every summer or even every year that we get days of 90 + F weather.

Until we write again Whidbey,

Yours sincerely,

Candice

No comments: