Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Miso for a cold winter morning

Marina enjoys her miso soup, rice noodles, hard boiled egg, and broccoli.
It's worth saying again: Miso is my favorite healthy breakfast (I have some favorite less-healthy ones too that involve ketchup). One reason I love it so much, it's very versatile.  You can use just about any vegetable from your fridge, a variety of proteins, and noodles or rice.  Here are some of my favorite things to add to miso soup:

rice noodles
wild rice
salmon
tofu
soft boiled eggs
wakame
hijiki
arame
edamame beans
broccoli, carrots, celery

You only need a few of the ingredients from the above list for your soup.  Simple is usually better.  I mix a tablespoon of aged miso paste with a few tablespoons of warm water until all the chunks are gone.  Then I bring a kettle of water to boil, letting it cool slightly so as to not kill the good bacteria in the miso paste when they are mixed.  Add the hot water to the miso mixture and your favorite precooked ingredients, and you have breakfast!

itadakimasu!
Believe it or not, this breakfast is a favorite of my kids.  They love it, especially when we have seaweed to add to it. 


Today's breakfast: red miso with fried potatoes, broccoli, and rice noodles.
My favorite Miso paste, aged red miso, also wheat and gluten free.
Here is a wild rice miso soup with edamame beans and broccoli I made last week.

No comments: